Hey all! It’s been a long time since I’ve given you a prompt, so I wanted to put one up here. I read this book a while ago and loved it so much. I decided to base this prompt off the first poem in this book, because I loved it so much. If you don’t have this book, you should buy it- its a must read.
1. Make a list of the things that have been split from you. the things that you have had to cut away or disregard because of outside pressure.
2. Pick two of these events and locate them. Write a few words/ ideas on each one of them, trying to aim for situating the texture of each event. What did the place feel like? Smell like? Taste like? Bring us there.
3. Make another short list: What are time in your life that have demanded your whole self be present? Why? When were times that you decided to make space for your whole self?
4. Read Nikky Finney’s poem Errand Girl
5. Write for 10 minutes: What does it feel like, to be deboned? To be split from the rest of yourself?
6. Now, write for another 10 minutes: Reclaim yourself. Go back into those places of split and demand the whole of you back. What does that feel like?